Our client's mission is to empower educators to transform instruction so that ALL students succeed:
About the Company:
We were founded in 2011 and currently a team of 40 people, most of whom are former public school teachers. We have been profitable since 2014 and now partner with 550 school districts across 45 states, but we are just getting started! We aspire to build a diverse and inclusive company that can have a systemic and cultural impact on the US K-12 school system over the long term.
We believe that education is ultimately not about technology–it is about people. Decades of research have shown that the teacher is the most important school-based factor in a child’s education. We believe that technology’s biggest opportunity in education is to develop, enhance, and support great human teaching. We have established a new product category around supporting the instructional planning process that complements existing models of in-person training, coaching, and teacher collaboration.
Our Engineering Team
Our current engineering team is made up of 3 full-time engineers who are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining two user-facing products and multiple internal tools. This small team has been hugely impactful because,
· Self-starter and proactive mindset that values learning and growth
· Embrace the opportunity to work across different products and levels of the stack
· Genuine ownership of product that furthers our mission and impacts real teachers
· Flexibility and openness to change (e.g. technology, user feedback, business priorities)
· Value relationships and desire to support each other and folks from other teams
· Value professional AND personal growth – not logging long hours at work.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for a people-first engineering manager to lead and grow the team and each individual engineer’s capacity. This position will report directly to the CEO, influence product strategy and priorities, and collaborate with leads from teams across the company.
Our ideal candidate will have 5+ years of full stack web application engineering experience and have directly led and managed engineers for 2+ years. You have developed the skills of individual engineers through code review, pairing, and direct coaching and mentoring. You have provided technical leadership on a variety of complex projects as both a driver and passenger. You’ve stayed current on modern practices, tooling, services, and products and helped your team successfully adopt them. You have designed and implemented product development processes that improved team motivation, productivity, quality, and reliability in objective and measurable ways.
· Develop relationships built on care and trust with each member of the engineering team.
· Develop each engineer’s skill set and support advancement in their career.
· Define growth paths, levels of advancement, and systems of feedback and evaluation.
· Provide open and honest communication and feedback to individuals and team to support growth.
· Ensure that the company mission, initiatives, goals, and values are clear and connected to the team’s work.
· Cultivate a team culture of psychological safety, inclusion, diversity, and continuous growth.
· Work closely with dedicated recruiting staff to expand the team, including sourcing applicants, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences/events, and onboarding new employees.
· Travel to San Mateo, California, headquarters at least 1-2 times each quarter to work with team members in-person.
· Maintain a technical roadmap and facilitate collaborative prioritization the highest-impact projects that align with business objectives.
· Be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
· Be the senior engineer on the team who knows how to build solid infrastructure, evaluate new technologies, and help resolve the most complex technical issues.
We are always open to new technologies and their potential benefits to our work. Being intimately familiar with all the components in our current stack is not mandatory, though you should have parallel experience.
· Docker on AWS ECS
· MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Redshift, PipelineDB
· Golang (JSON API backend)