Category: Data, Executive/Management
Company Description: Largest Mutual Life Insurance Company in the United States
Salary: Highly Competitive, Depending on Experience
Position Type: Permanent
Job Number: 10306
The largest writer of retail life insurance in the U.S. and a top player in annuities, long-term care and mutual funds, is seeking a Data Science Manager in its Center for Data Science and Analytics.
The Center for Data Science and Analytics is the innovative corporate Analytics group within the company. We are a rapidly growing entrepreneurial department, which aims to design, create and offer innovative data-driven solutions for many parts of the enterprise. We are aided by the company's existing business with a large market share in individual life insurance. We have the freedom to explore external data sources and new statistical techniques, and are excited about delivering a whole new generation of Analytical solutions.
You will apply your highly developed analytical skills to work on all aspects of the life insurance underwriting value chain, ranging from risk models, fraud detection, and process triaging to a variety of other analytics solutions.
You will apply your leadership experience, high energy level and business sense to supervise staff, communicate with internal stakeholders and external vendors while effectively leading complex analytics projects. You will also ingest and wrangle data, propose analytics strategy, create related business cases, drive several large initiatives, build and implement solutions at scale and give presentations as a subject matter expert.
• Independently leads data analysis and modeling projects from project/sample design, business review meetings with internal and external clients deriving requirements/deliverables, reception and processing of data, performing analyses and modeling to final reports/presentations, communication of results and implementation support.
• Manages 1-3 direct reports responsible for insurance underwriting analytics, including exploration/consolidation of a variety of internal and external data (e.g. digital medical records, credit, social), triaging models and a variety of mortality models for automating most underwriting/risk classification decisions. Works closely with Underwriting, Actuarial, IT, Legal, Government relations and several other groups in designing, building and implementing these solutions.
• Drives the use of data-based decision making and Analytics by active internal partnership management, discovering business opportunity and creating business value by executing on high-priority projects.
• Utilizes advanced statistical techniques to create high-performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs.
• Proactively and effectively communicates in various verbal and written formats with internal stakeholders on product design, data specification, model implementations, with partners on collaboration ideas and specifics, with internal clients and stakeholders on project/test results, opportunities, questions. Resolves problems and removes obstacles to timely and high-quality project completion.
• Manages staff including goal setting, performance evaluation, effective resource allocation and career/skill development, hiring and training.
• Actively contributes to analytics strategy by contributing ideas, preparing presentation material for internal stakeholders, and product design/business case materials.
• Follows industry trends in insurance and related data/analytics processes and businesses. Functions as the analytics expert in meetings with other internal areas and external vendors. Actively participates in proof of concept tests of new data, software and technologies.
• Assures compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of modeling and analysis projects.
• Travels to events and vendor meetings as needed (< 10%).
• Graduate-level degree with concentration in a quantitative discipline such as statistics, computer science, mathematics, economics, or operations research OR Fellowship in one of the Actuarial Societies (CAS or SOA).
• 7+ years of experience with predictive analytics in an insurance context using large and complex datasets. Experience with P&C personal lines rating plan modeling, health or life insurance is preferred.
• 2+ years of management experience. Proven ability to effectively manage own and associates’ time while multitasking between multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities in a dynamic business environment while maintaining strong, productive relationships with internal stakeholders and external partners. Ability to provide technical guidance to direct reports.
• Specific experience with building/growing and retaining technical teams.
• Demonstrated success in creating measurable business benefit for analytics while interacting with many stakeholders in a complex organization.
• Strong verbal and written communications skills, listening and teamwork skills, and effective presentation skills. This is absolutely essential since you will have a lot of exposure to different internal groups (data, IT, actuarial, medical, underwriting, Legal, Agency, government relations, etc.) as well as third-party data partners.
• Demonstrated experience in strategic and analytical leadership. Executive presence on high-level meetings. Credible functional expertise in predictive analytics.
• Strong expertise in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, survival analysis, GLM, tree models (Random Forests and GBM), cluster analysis, principal components, feature creation, and validation.
• Strong expertise in regularization techniques (Ridge, Lasso, elastic nets), variable selection techniques, feature creation (transformation, binning, high level categorical reduction, etc.) and validation (hold-outs, CV, bootstrap).
• Substantial programming experience with several of the following: SAS (STAT, macros, EM), R, H2O, Python, SPARK, SQL, other Hadoop. Exposure to GitHub.
• Experience with data visualization (e.g. R Shiny, Spotfire, Tableau)
• Proficiency in creating effective and visually appealing PowerPoint presentations.
Andiamo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Andiamo complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please Note: All inquiries will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Your resume will not be submitted to any client company without your prior knowledge and consent.