Category: Software Engineering
Company Description: The Most Well Known Streaming Content Technology Firm in the World
Salary: Highly Competitive, Depending on Experience
Position Type: Permanent
Job Number: 10182
With the success of its multi-platform service, this streaming media company's Digital Products group is redefining the modern entertainment experience for its millions of subscribers worldwide. While celebrating 30+ years of developing award winning original programming and features, they are also dedicated to embracing and expanding their leadership in the digital space. They are exploring new avenues of interactive media, through multiple platforms, devices, and paradigms – ranging from the evolutionary to the experimental. We are looking for a talented Interaction Designer with strong design, technical, and problem solving skills to help us define and deliver new and innovative consumer experiences. The candidate will be part of a team that is responsible for designing and developing the vision for our digital offerings, from both a conceptual and practical perspective; they need to be comfortable with both the forest AND its trees, with a proven ability to work across interaction, visual, and technical fields.
As the Team Manager of UX Research, you will lead the vision and manage the team responsible for providing research to support our cross-platform digital products, web properties, tools, and emerging technologies.
We are developing new avenues of interactive storytelling across multiple platforms, devices, and interaction paradigms.
The smart and talented people on our bi-coastal Experience Design team care about creating meaningful experiences that resonate with our customers. The team works closely together and across functions to deliver balanced and creative solutions that extend our digital experiences in new and sometimes unexpected ways. Join our team as we define what this means for the next generation of audiences and creators.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have a strong legacy of user research as it fuels every stage in the design and development process from concept-to-launch. As the UX Research Team Manager, you will manage a team of Researchers and Coordinators. You will lead the vision for the user research team and grow areas of expertise to track success of the team and product. Areas of responsibility for the UX Team Manager are user research strategy and planning, team management, and conducting insightful user research to support product development. In this role, you will be responsible for balancing near-term delivery goals along with informing long-term strategy.
UX Research Strategy & Planning
Lead user research strategy and conduct projects for generative, formative, and summative research to support product design and development.
· Work with Product Leadership on product roadmaps by understanding the customer needs and translating those needs into impactful business actions.
· Work with senior stakeholders to identify and prioritize appropriate projects for the user research team.
· Find creative and compelling ways to present and evangelize research insights throughout the company, in order to help cultivate a highly-informed, more effective, and more empathetic organization.
· Set goals and methods to measure research and design success.
Team Leadership & Management
Lead and mentor the user research team by setting a compelling vision and providing the 1:1 coaching that individuals need to grow and produce their best work.
· Grow the team's expertise, explore new ways to discover user insights and evangelize best practices.
· Grow each team member to be independent, eager to see the results of their work, and connected with the customer.
· Forecast resource needs and grow the team to provide necessary capabilities and expertise.
Research Execution & Delivery
Oversee all project phases, from planning and budgeting, to study execution and communication for user research efforts.
· Guide all team research efforts to ensure high standards of research quality, ensuring quality measures, and conduct research as an individual contributor as needed.
· Conduct projects using generative, formative, and summative research methodologies considering an Agile Framework.
· Provide recommendations and present results to stakeholders.
· Stay current and implement research best practices, policies, and procedures for robust, ethical practices.
· Establish third party relationships and vendor and contractor consultant support as needed to support research plans.
· Measure success of research projects and implement ways to continually improve.
An ideal candidate will take into account business objectives, user needs, human factors engineering, and industry best practices to inform decisions and will deftly balance tactical implementation with big-picture strategic thinking. Candidates should have demonstrated expertise in the following areas.
· Typically has seven or more years of practical work experience as a UX Researcher on a product development team or consultant group, with five or more years experience managing and developing a UX Research team.
· Graduate degree in Engineering Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, or a closely related field.
· Demonstrated leadership building out research teams from the ground up, leading and managing individual UX Researchers, and growing a research team to meet business needs.
· Proven experience building and nurturing relationships with bi-coastal and cross-functional stakeholders, with the ability to educate teams about user research.
· Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple complex projects with significant financial implication and executive visibility.
· Highly-detailed planning for user research projects in and outside an Agile work process. This includes phasing projects in sprints, scheduling resources and tasks, and executing the work.
· Expert in study design, methodology, session moderation, data analysis, and reporting for generative and evaluative research.
· Command of a broad set of qualitative and quantitative measures for evaluating team performance, effect of research insights, and benchmarking the user experience.
· Excellent communication skills and ability to build relationships across different parts and different levels of the business and with external agencies.
· Experience establishing a user research lab and remote testing capabilities, along with the tools and technologies to create and administer studies, capture data, and share results.
· Experience with research for emerging technologies.
· Enthusiasm for a team-oriented, collaborative, and fun environment.
· Ability to travel to HBO NY office at least once per quarter.
· An online portfolio or work samples with study plans, reports, and outcomes.
· Experience teaching UX topics through informal brown bags and formal coursework.
· Relevant work experience in digital products and services with a focus on consumer accounts, content discovery, and streaming media.
· Certification or relevant training in personnel management.
· Experience planning and conducting user research for an international audience, with in-country user research experience a plus.
· Familiarity with media streaming services.
· Agile/UX project work.
· Subject matter expertise with VUI and Connected TV devices and/or game consoles, e.g., AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, Xbox, PlayStation, etc.
Andiamo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Andiamo complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please Note: All inquiries will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Your resume will not be submitted to any client company without your prior knowledge and consent.